U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker restoration

Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, applies a protective wax polish to a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 21, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Swanson, based out of Richmond, Virginia, earned an undergraduate degree in art history and anthropology from Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts and graduated from Columbia University in New York with a Master’s of Science in Historic Preservation, with a specialty in materials conservation, focusing on working on metals, woods and stone. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/ Released)

Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, applies a protective wax polish to a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 21, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Swanson, based out of Richmond, Virginia, earned an undergraduate degree in art history and anthropology from Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts and graduated from Columbia University in New York with a Master’s of Science in Historic Preservation, with a specialty in materials conservation, focusing on working on metals, woods and stone. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/ Released)

A close up view of the bronze plaque on a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 20, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/Released)

A close up view of the bronze plaque on a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 20, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/Released)

Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, checks the condition of a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 20, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Swanson, based out of Richmond, VA, removed lichens growing on the back of the monument over the inscriptions of the names of the fallen and polished the bronze plaque. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/ Released)

Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, checks the condition of a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 20, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Swanson, based out of Richmond, VA, removed lichens growing on the back of the monument over the inscriptions of the names of the fallen and polished the bronze plaque. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/ Released)

Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, takes measurements of a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 20, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Swanson, based out of Richmond, Virginia, removed lichens growing on the sides and back of the monument and polished the bronze plaque. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/Released)

Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, takes measurements of a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 20, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Swanson, based out of Richmond, Virginia, removed lichens growing on the sides and back of the monument and polished the bronze plaque. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/Released)

A U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., is photographed with lichens attached to the stone surface on July 20, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, based out of Richmond, Virginia, removed the lichens and polished the bronze plaque. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/Released)

A U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., is photographed with lichens attached to the stone surface on July 20, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, based out of Richmond, Virginia, removed the lichens and polished the bronze plaque. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/Released)

Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, takes a close up photo of a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 20, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Swanson, based out of Richmond, Virginia, removed lichens growing on the back and sides of the stone monument and polished the bronze plaque on the front. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/ Released)

Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, takes a close up photo of a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 20, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Swanson, based out of Richmond, Virginia, removed lichens growing on the back and sides of the stone monument and polished the bronze plaque on the front. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/ Released)

Stan Ciurczak, Management and Program Analyst with the FAA William J. Hughes Technical Center, and Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, pose for a photo in front of a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker on July 20, 2016. The monument, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., was erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Ciurczak, the FAA’s unofficial historian, noticed that the monument was in need of attention and contacted Swanson, based out of Richmond, Virginia, who removed lichens growing on the back of the monument over the inscriptions of the names of the fallen and polished the bronze plaque. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/Released)

Stan Ciurczak, Management and Program Analyst with the FAA William J. Hughes Technical Center, and Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, pose for a photo in front of a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker on July 20, 2016. The monument, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., was erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Ciurczak, the FAA’s unofficial historian, noticed that the monument was in need of attention and contacted Swanson, based out of Richmond, Virginia, who removed lichens growing on the back of the monument over the inscriptions of the names of the fallen and polished the bronze plaque. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/Released)

Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, sprays water on a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., prior to cleaning on July 20, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Swanson, based out of Richmond, Virginia, removed lichens growing on the back and sides of the monument and polished a bronze plaque on the front. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/Released)

Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, sprays water on a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., prior to cleaning on July 20, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Swanson, based out of Richmond, Virginia, removed lichens growing on the back and sides of the monument and polished a bronze plaque on the front. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/Released)

Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, uses a scrub brush to remove lichens growing on a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 20, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Swanson, based out of Richmond, Virginia, earned an undergraduate degree in art history and anthropology from Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts and graduated from Columbia University in New York with a Master’s of Science in Historic Preservation, with a specialty in materials conservation, focusing on working on metals, woods and stone. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/ Released)

Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, uses a scrub brush to remove lichens growing on a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 20, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Swanson, based out of Richmond, Virginia, earned an undergraduate degree in art history and anthropology from Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts and graduated from Columbia University in New York with a Master’s of Science in Historic Preservation, with a specialty in materials conservation, focusing on working on metals, woods and stone. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/ Released)

Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, uses a wooden pick to remove lichens growing inside the letters of inscriptions on a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 20, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Swanson, based out of Richmond, earned an undergraduate degree in art history and anthropology from Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts and graduated from Columbia Univeristy in New York with a Master’s of Science in Historic Preservation, with a specialty in materials conservation, focusing on working on metals, woods and stone. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/ Released)
PHOTO DETAILS  /   DOWNLOAD HI-RES 10 of 15

Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, uses a wooden pick to remove lichens growing inside the letters of inscriptions on a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 20, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Swanson, based out of Richmond, earned an undergraduate degree in art history and anthropology from Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts and graduated from Columbia Univeristy in New York with a Master’s of Science in Historic Preservation, with a specialty in materials conservation, focusing on working on metals, woods and stone. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/ Released)

Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, and Dr. Richard Porcelli, local aviation historian, discuss the history of a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker on July 21, 2016. The monument, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., was erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Swanson, based out of Richmond, VA, removed lichens growing on the back of the monument over the inscriptions of the names of the fallen and polished the bronze plaque. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/Released)
PHOTO DETAILS  /   DOWNLOAD HI-RES 11 of 15

Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, and Dr. Richard Porcelli, local aviation historian, discuss the history of a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker on July 21, 2016. The monument, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., was erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Swanson, based out of Richmond, VA, removed lichens growing on the back of the monument over the inscriptions of the names of the fallen and polished the bronze plaque. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/Released)

Dr. Richard Porcelli, local aviation historian, points out a name inscribed on a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker to Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, at the Atlantic City Air National Guard base on July 21, 2016. The monument, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard, was erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers and pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/ Released)
PHOTO DETAILS  /   DOWNLOAD HI-RES 12 of 15

Dr. Richard Porcelli, local aviation historian, points out a name inscribed on a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker to Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, at the Atlantic City Air National Guard base on July 21, 2016. The monument, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard, was erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers and pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/ Released)

From right, Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, Stan Ciurczak, Management and Program Analyst with the FAA William J. Hughes Technical Center, and Dr. Richard Porcelli, local aviation historian, pose for a photo in front of a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker at the Atlantic City Air National Guard base on July 20, 2016. The monument, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard, was erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Ciurczak, the Tech. Center's unofficial historian, noticed that the monument was in need of attention and contacted Swanson, based out of Richmond, Virginia, who removed lichens growing on the sides and back of the granite monument and polished the bronze plaque. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/ Released)
PHOTO DETAILS  /   DOWNLOAD HI-RES 13 of 15

From right, Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, Stan Ciurczak, Management and Program Analyst with the FAA William J. Hughes Technical Center, and Dr. Richard Porcelli, local aviation historian, pose for a photo in front of a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker at the Atlantic City Air National Guard base on July 20, 2016. The monument, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard, was erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Ciurczak, the Tech. Center's unofficial historian, noticed that the monument was in need of attention and contacted Swanson, based out of Richmond, Virginia, who removed lichens growing on the sides and back of the granite monument and polished the bronze plaque. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/ Released)

Freshly cleaned and polished, a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker dries in the sunlight near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 21, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice.  Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, based out of Richmond, Virginia, removed lichens growing on the back of the monument over the inscriptions of the names of the fallen and polished the bronze plaque. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/Released)
PHOTO DETAILS  /   DOWNLOAD HI-RES 14 of 15

Freshly cleaned and polished, a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker dries in the sunlight near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 21, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, based out of Richmond, Virginia, removed lichens growing on the back of the monument over the inscriptions of the names of the fallen and polished the bronze plaque. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/Released)

Freshly cleaned and polished, a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker dries in the sunlight near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 21, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, based out of Richmond, Virginia, removed lichens growing on the sides and back of the stone monument and polished the bronze plaque. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/Released)
PHOTO DETAILS  /   DOWNLOAD HI-RES 15 of 15

Freshly cleaned and polished, a U.S. Navy VC-4 memorial marker dries in the sunlight near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard in Egg Harbor Township, N.J., on July 21, 2016. The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to the members of the VC-4 Squadron based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City from September 1948 to May 1958 who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Melissa Swanson, Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, based out of Richmond, Virginia, removed lichens growing on the sides and back of the stone monument and polished the bronze plaque. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Andrew J. Moseley/Released)

ATLANTIC CITY AIR NATIONAL GUARD BASE, N.J. -- A granite monument to fallen U.S. Navy aviators and crewmembers, located near the main gate of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard, was given some special treatment by a historic preservation specialist July 20-21, 2016.

The monument, erected in May 1994 by the Association of The Composite Squadron Four Nightcappers, pays tribute to more than forty members of the VC-4 Squadron, based at Naval Air Station Atlantic City in Egg Harbor Township, N.J. from September 1948 to May 1958, who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Melissa Swanson, a Naval History and Heritage Command Conservator, removed lichens from the back of the monument, which were growing over inscriptions of the names of the fallen, and polished the bronze plaque.

"The stone is granite with a shallow-relief bronze plaque with a very nice protective coating and good detail and that's held up very well," said Swanson as she inspected the monument. "It's a wonderful image of the plane and the weather."

Stan Ciurczak, Management and Program Analyst and unofficial historian with the FAA William J. Hughes Technical Center, noticed that the monument was in need of attention and contacted Swanson, based out of Richmond, Virginia.

"I noticed earlier this year that the VC-4 monument needed to be cleaned so people could continue to read the names of the fallen and the Navy's Heritage & History Command offered to take care of that," said Ciurczak. "The VC-4 monument is the last vestige of the old Navy base, so I'm happy to see it looking ship-shape again. It's an important part of Tech Center history. Bravo Zulu ("BZ") Navy!"

The Tech. Center got its start here in 1958 when the Federal Aviation Administration took over Naval Air Station Atlantic City.

Swanson earned an undergraduate degree in art history and anthropology at Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts and a Master's of Science in Historic Preservation, from Columbia University in New York, with a specialty in materials conservation, focusing on working on metals, woods and stone.

"Luckily, I think that we'll be able to treat those successfully so that the names are all visible again," said Swanson. "The lichens are tenacious, but the chemical treatment will definitely dissuade them for a couple of years."

The VC-4 Squadron flew all-weather and night missions, active through the Korean War.

"This was the largest squadron in the Navy at the time because their job was to send detachments of four to six planes to all of the aircraft carriers in the Navy," said Dr. Richard Porcelli, local aviation historian.  "During the heyday in the early fifties, the Navy had 20 or 30 carriers and the VC-4 was the main squadron here."

The restoration project could not have come at a better time according to Swanson.