Chief Master Sergeant James F. McCloskey is the Command Chief Master Sergeant for the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard. He represents the highest level of enlisted leadership and is the principal advisor to the Commander of the 177th Fighter Wing. Chief McCloskey is responsible for matters influencing the health, morale, welfare and professional development of more than 1200 Airmen.
Chief McCloskey’s military service began in 1993. He enlisted as a Private in the US Army Reserve and was trained as a Combat Medical Specialist assigned to the 2289th US Army Hospital in Wilmington, Delaware. In 1994 Chief McCloskey transferred to the New Jersey Army National Guard and was assigned to HHQ 1/114th (M) Infantry Battalion / Medical Platoon in Woodbury, NJ. In 1997, he joined the 177th Fighter Wing / Medical Squadron where he was assigned as an Aerospace Medical Technician and rose to become the Medical Group’s Superintendent of Nursing Services. He has participated in Operations NORTHERN WATCH, SOUTHERN WATCH, NOBLE EAGLE and ENDURING FREEDOM (Qatar and Afghanistan). He also participated in humanitarian Operations TENDON VALIANT (Indonesia), ARCTIC CARE (Alaska), BLACKBELT (Alabama), CAJUN CARE (Louisiana) and CHENANGO CARES (New York). During these combat and humanitarian missions, Chief McCloskey served as a staff medic early in his career but grew into a leader who was called upon to plan and lead such missions. Additionally, he was called upon to serve his state during the Super Storm Sandy Response in 2012 where he served as the senior medic in charge of operations in the Jersey City shelter. In the civilian sector, Chief McCloskey is a Correction Lieutenant for the New Jersey Department of Corrections.
1993 Army Basic Training, Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.
1994 Combat Medical Specialist Training, Fort Sam Houston, Texas
1998 NCO Prep Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 NCO Academy, McGhee-Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
2009 Senior NCO Academy, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2015 Chief’s Executive Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2016 Command Chief’s Orientation Course, Joint Base San Antonio, Texas
1. September 1993-December 1994 – Combat Medical Specialist, 2289th US Army Hospital, Wilmington DE
2. December 1994-December 1997-Combat Medical Specialist, HQ 1/114th (M) Infantry Battalion, Woodbury N.J.
3. December 1997 – August 2004 – Aerospace Medical Technician, 177th Medical Squadron, Egg Harbor N.J.
4. 1998 - Staff Medic - Operation Northern Watch, Incirlik AB, Turkey
5. 2000 - Staff Medic - Operation Southern Watch, Prince Sultan AB, Saudi Arabia
6. September 2001 -Sept 2007 NCOIC Medical Ops, Operation Noble Eagle, 177th Fighter Wing, Egg Harbor, N.J.
7. June 2004 - July 2004 NCOIC 119th SME, Operation Enduring Freedom, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
8. August 2004-September 2016-Superintendent Nursing Services, 177th Medical Group, Egg Harbor N.J.
9. 2006 – Operations NCOIC, MEDRETE, Tendon Valiant IV, (Multi-National Joint Humanitarian Mission) Indonesia
10. 2007 – Air National Guard Planner, Arctic Care, (Joint Service Humanitarian) Northwest Arctic Borough, Alaska
11. December 2011 – March 2012- NCOIC 119th SME, Operation Enduring Freedom, Bagram AB, Afghanistan
12. August 2012 - Mission NCOIC, Alabama Blackbelt Follow-On Mission (Joint Service Humanitarian), Selma, AL
13. November 2012 NCOIC of Medical Operations, Super Storm Sandy State Activation, Jersey City Shelter N.J.
14. March 2014 Mission NCOIC and Planner, Cajun Care (Joint Service Humanitarian Mission), Abbeville, LA
15. April 2014 ANG Senior Enlisted and Planner, Arctic Care (Joint Service Humanitarian Mission) Kodiak, Alaska
16. December 2015- July 2016- ANG Planner Chenango Cares, (Joint Service Humanitarian Mission) Norwich, N.Y.
17. September 2016 – Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 177th Fighter Wing, Egg Harbor N.J.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with 1 oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
New Jersey Ribbon of Honor
New Jersey Good Conduct Ribbon with 3 devices
New Jersey Merit Award Ribbon with 13 devices
New Jersey State Service Ribbon
New Jersey Unit Strength Award Ribbon
Enlisted Association National Guard of New Jersey (Life Member)
Air Force Sergeant’s Association Chapter 258
Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1795, Bridgeton NJ (Life Member)
New Jersey Superior Officer Association
2002 Enlisted Association of the National Guard of New Jersey Outstanding NCO for the 177th Fighter Wing
2004 Employee of the Year for the 177th Medical Group
2010 Willey Award Winner as the Outstanding Senior Noncommissioned Officer for the 177th Fighter Wing
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant, October 2014
(Current as of March 2017)